Tuesday 18 May 2010

18th May - Tuesday

Departure day from Encinita sbut despite this we still managed to pack in a load of things to do. Hap got a last minute appointment with the dentist so she went to have her teeth sorted out and I took the car to the garden centre to get something for Dana and Chris' garden. I got them a big white agapanthus that will go next to their pool and will like the full sun.

Late morning and Dana drove us to La Jolla, which is a lovely little beach resort where the sea lions bask on the rocks out in the bay.

We had lunch with Chris in a Mexican/Cuban restaurant - I had vegetable Enpanandas - basically pasties. They were okay but incredibly bland!
We finally left Encinitas for LA at 3.30pm. Hap drove for three quarters of the way and I took over as we entered LA, mostly because I was feeling a bit car sick by then and needed a distraction. We'd stuck to the Pacific Coast Highway for most of the way but the damned woman on the Satellite navigation kept trying to get us to go on the I5 and we finally gave in. (She got very anxious - turn right in point five of a mile... recalculating...)




LA is a big urban sprawl - lots of highways, cars coming at you from every direction and I can't say I'm that enamoured by it. Our satellite navigation got us to the Jolly Roger in Santa Monica, where we are staying for the night. We got a room with two double beds. It's a bit basic, but clean.




We took a walk down Washington Boulevard, to Venice Beach and had a meal in a wonderful Italian restaurant where the waiters all kept breaking into song. Did I know those songs? Where was Giulia when I needed her? Amore, Funiculi Funicula and various others care of good old Dean Martin the background. Oh, and the ducks were just crossing the road, as they do....Would you believe that this grey seen is Venice Beach? Usually seen on TV in full sunshine.

No comments: